While searching through photos, we noticed that we’ve been to a lot of the best honeymoon destinations around the world and thought we’d up the romance factor to 11 and share our most romantic escapes.
Best Honeymoon Destinations That We’ve Been to
Dave and I treat our travels like a honeymoon. We’re married, so why can’t every trip be like going on a honeymoon? Even on our greatest adventures, we look for romance, and these are the best Honeymoon Destinations that we’ve been to.
Santorini is a picture-perfect honeymoon destination located in the Greek Isles. Cave hotels line the caldera creating the most beautiful scene on earth. Spend your days relaxing in luxury. Start off with breakfasts served in your room overlooking the caldera complete with fresh Greek yogurt and Santorini honey.
With your own plunge pools, beautiful infinity pool falling into the caldera, and rich Cocomat beds, we never wanted to leave. Romance activities include a sunset cruise, couples spa, infinity pools, and romantic Greek food. Santorini is definitely our favourite place to visit in Greece.
Explore more of Santorini to help plan your honeymoon
- The Best Places to Visit in Santorini, Greece
- 25 Best Things to do in Santorini, Greece
- Where to Stay in Santorini: Best Hotels and Towns
- Things to do in Zakynthos, Greece
- A Photography Guide to Santorini – Getting that Postcard Shot
- Iconic Santorini: A Cave Hotel Experience
- Suggested hotels in Santorini – Andronis or Iconic Santorini
2. St. Lucia
St. Lucia has often been voted the number one honeymoon destination in the Caribbean and after visiting, we understood why. With jaw-dropping views of the Grand Piton and resorts catering to couples only, we had the best private swimming we’ve ever seen with a billion-dollar view. Or stay on the north end of the island to enjoy the silky white sand beaches and luxury watersports.
- Read the Best Things to do in Saint Lucia – A Tropical Paradise to see why you should go there.
- Read where to stay in St. Lucia – a comparison between North and South
- Suggested hotels in St. Lucia – Calabash Cove or Stonefield Villas
Visiting the Maldives is like a dream. A honeymoon getaway to a private island in the Maldives is so extravagant you’ll never want to leave. Secluded over the water bungalows were made for romance making Maldives one of the best honeymoon destinations in the world. Order room service and sip champagne on your balcony floating in the middle of the Indian Ocean or stroll hand in hand along the white sand beaches that go on for miles. Romance activities include dinner on the beach, couples massage, world-class scuba diving, and scenic flights.
We had always wanted to visit a luxurious couples-only resort, and the Mayan Riviera is perfect for it. Mexico is regularly at the top of honeymoon destinations wish lists and the Mayan Riviera is certainly worth the hype suiting every type of couple. With our own rooftop plunge pool in our luxury resort, we barely left our rooms. But for an adventurous honeymoon, the Mayan Riviera has it all. Spend your days on countless excursions and then go back to the resort to relaxing in pure luxury.
- Best Things to do in Cancun, Mexico
- Swimming with Whale Sharks Cancun – A Massive Adventure
- Suggested couples hotel – Excellence Riviera Cancun
- Watch our video tour of the Excellence Riviera Cancun
Nothing is more thrilling and spotting the big 5 African wildlife. Book a luxury safari to Tanzania for pure adventure and one fo the best honeymoon destinations for adventure. You and your new spouse will create stories to last a lifetime. Follow lions stalking their prey, see the magical beauty of the Ngorongoro Crater, and watch the sunset over the Rift Valley. Romantic tented camps with outdoor showers, hot baths, and wildlife roaming through the trails. read more
- Read more about Tanzania at 18 Amazing Things to do in Tanzania – Dream Trip
- African Animals – Incredible moments on Safari
- For pure luxury on the Serengeti, visit the Four Seasons Serengeti Safari Lodge.
- We travelled with GoAhead Tours to Tanzania.
Fiji has 333 islands just waiting for couples to book a luxury honeymoon. With white sand beaches, lush jungles, and crystal clear waters, Fiji is an island paradise. If you are looking for one of the best honeymoon destinations for beach lovers with a mix of adventure, Fiji is your best bet! There are five star resorts located on your own private island, with over the water bungalows. But there are also adrenaline adventures on the main island of Viti Levu and endless romantic activities.
- Read more about Fiji at 12 Things to do in Fiji – The Ultimate South Pacific Dream Trip
- We loved the Fiji Pearl on the mainland for adventures.
- For Over the Water Bungalows and luxury check out Likuliku Lagoon Resort
It is the playground to the stars with dramatic sea cliffs lining turquoise waters. Positano is the most picturesque town of the 13 historic towns situated along the coast. Like Cinque Terre in Northern Italy, Amalfi ha a long footpath that you can walk from village to village. Hire a private yacht to take you to the Grotta dello Smeraldo Cave or go to Capri for a night. Be sure to get a balcony room overlooking the Gulf of Salerno.
- Read all about the Amalfi Coast at The Best Things to Do in Amalfi Coast, Italy
- We stayed at Palazzo Talamo in Positano and loved the view and location
Bermuda is just a short three-hour flight from New York but it is a world away. To me, it is one of those underrated honeymoon destinations. With pink sand beaches, colorful colonial architecture and world-class dining, Bermuda is a honeymoon to remember.
Stay at the Fairmont for five star luxury and rent a scooter to have the freedom to boot around the island with the one you love. If you are the type of couple that likes to golf together, there’s world class golf course and plenty of watersports. For a romantic evenings dine at the lighthouse for the best sun sets.
- Read More about Bermuda 27 of The Best Things to do in Bermuda
- The Fairmont Southamton is Bermuda’s premier luxury hotel and is perfect for a honeymoon.
The spiritual volcanic island of Bali, Indonesia is one of a kind honeymoon destination. Its endless beaches draw sun seekers to the island but its diverse landscape offers honeymoon ideas in idyllic settings among picturesque rice terraces, jungle escapes and cliff top resorts. Bali has countless honeymoon options at a luxury boutique hotel or five star resorts complete with the famous Bali infinity pool. Romantic excursions include floral baths and couples massage, scuba diving with manta rays, and swimming in waterfalls.
- Read More at 28 Things to do in Bali – Local Insider Tips
- Bali on a Budget – Why it’s the Best Destination for Couples
- 2 day Itinerary with a Bali Local Guide
- You can never go wrong with a honeymoon at the Four Seasons Bali.
Every Hawaiian Island could make for the perfect honeymoon destination. But we’re going to take you off the beaten path to the island of Lanai. This small Hawaiian Island is just a short ferry ride from Maui but it is world’s away. With only three resorts on the island, you will have complete seclusion and luxury at the Four Seasons Koele Lodge in a ranch setting or the Manele Bay Four Seasons on the Beach. Luxury romantic moments include a beach bungalow massage, horseback riding, or bask on 18 miles of secluded beaches.
- Read More at Things to do in Lanai, Hawaii
- The Island of Lanai in Photos
- Split your time between Four Seasons Resort and Four Seasons Ranch
With 365 islands, one for every day of the year, there are many places you can find a private retreat for a honeymoon in the Exumas. These islands in the Bahamas were made for romance making it one of the best honeymoon destinations for your bucket list of choices. It’s lifestyles of the rich and famous as mega yachts anchor offshore in the gin blue waters. Take a sailing trip to see the nurse sharks of Compass Cay, swim in the famous Thunderball Grotto or go scuba diving in its clear waters. With Five star resorts and or private boutique hotels, the Exumas has it all.
- 18 Best Things to Do In The Bahamas
- Things to do in the Exuma Cays – Dream Trip to the Bahamas
- Suggested hotel: Embrace Resort on Staniel Cay
There is a reason every romantic loves the novel and movie Under the Tuscan Sun. Staying at a Tuscan Villa in the Tuscany region of Itlay will create lifelong memories for newlyweds. Sip Chianti Classico as you learn to make homemade pasta. Tour romantic castles, take walks through vineyards and stroll hand in hand through medieval villages.
- Read More Tuscany Dreams – Stay in a Tuscan Villa
- 7 Unforgettable Reasons to Visit Tuscany
- Get in touch with Elena at Borgo Argenina in Chianti Classico Tuscany for a romantic honeymoon.
Paris steals your heart and calls you back again and again. It is always listed as one of the best honeymoon destinations around the world and with good reason. Couples will spend their honeymoon walking hand in hand through the city of light. Sip champagne on the Eiffel Tower, have a picnic in the Luxembourg Gardens and take a riverboat along the Seine. Paris is the city of love and honeymooners will find the romance intoxicating.
- Read our complete breakdown of Where To Stay In Paris – Best Neighborhoods and Hotels
- 27 Free Things to do in Paris, France
- 3 Days in Paris: The Best Paris Itinerary for Your First Visit
If you are the type of couple that is looking for something different, Morocco is a hot spot for exotic honeymoons. The Moroccan Dessert oozes sex appeal with camel caravans and Bedouin camps. Spend your honeymoon in a luxury Riyad in Marrakech dining on nuts and olives. Or fly into Casablanca and relive the love story of Ingrid Bergman and Humphry Bogart. Here’s looking at you kid.
- Read More at 15 Stunning Photos to Inspire You to visit Morocco by Niclas Glud
Sri Lanka is one of our all-time favorite travel destinations and it’s another unforgettable honeymoon destination. Stay in a luxury lodge in the middle of a national park with elephants walking through the grounds or book an exclusive suite on the beach. Sri Lanka has everything a honeymooner could ask for with the perfect blend of affordable luxury and adventure.
- Start Planning your honeymoon in Sri Lanka
With couples resorts on every coast, Jamaica is so much so a honeymoon destination, we wrote an entire article about a Honeymoon in Jamaica. Jamaica has many all-inclusive five star resorts that offer pure luxury and cater to couples. It has perfected the honeymoon experience making it one of the best honeymoon destinations in the Caribbean. Romantic honeymoon excursions include dining on a private beach, jerk cooking classes, couples massage and bamboo rafting the Martha Brae River.
- Read More at Best Beaches in Jamaica – 18 Beautiful Places to Soak up the Sun
- 33 of the Best Things to do in Jamaica
- 22 Things to do in Montego Bay
- We loved our stay at the Hyatt Zilara Rose Hall
Australia deserves to be an entire destination for a honeymoon, We would rank Queensland as one of the best honeymoon destinations in Australia. This is high on our list because of the Daintree Rainforest. Book a retreat at the Silky Oaks Lodge in your own private treehouse as the sounds of the rainforest echo around you. Have a couples massage under swaying palm trees and go on a walkabout with an Aboriginal Guide. After you’ve basked in luxury, head to the Gold Coast for an endless beach or take a hot air balloon flight at sunrise. The romance options are endless.
- Read More at 23 of the Most Iconic Places to Visit in Australia
- 15 Amazing Wildlife Encounters in Western Australia
- 18 Great Things to do in Queensland, Australia
- Visit the Silky Oaks Lodge for a Romantic Honeymoon in Queensland.
Sunshine Coast British Columbia
Just before the pandemic hit, we took a road trip along the Sunshine Coast on the West Coast of British Columbia and fell in love. We have done a lot of glamping in our lives, but the Rockwater Resort was a step above any other tent. Overlooking the Georgia Strait. It is a year-round destination attracting couples to even cozy up in the winter to watch the raging waters.
With farm-to-table meals served in the fine dining room and fireplaces and hot tubs in your tents, you’ll never want to leave. The Sunshine Coast is filled with walking trails, fine dining and amazing wildlife encounters.
- Read More at Sunshine Coast BC – The Perfect Road Trip Itinerary
- Book the Rockwater Secret Cove Resort for your honeymoon destination in Canada.
Japan is such a sensitive and spiritual destination and staying at a Ryokan in Japan is one of the most unique honeymoon destinations that you’ll ever experience. The rituals that take place in a Ryokan make you feel like ancient Japanese royalty. Dress for dinner in your Yukata where you’ll be served 16-course meals and enjoy the Japanese baths and bamboo fountains sing in the distance. Go to Nikko for fall colors and take in its natural beauty. Stroll hand in hand through pathways along endless gorges and take in the beautiful waterfalls.
- Read More at Complete Nikko Japan Travel Guide – 18 Things to do and Places to See
- Suggested hotel in Nikko – Nikko Kanaya Hotel
It was once called the Honeymoon Capital of the world and Niagara Falls is still one of the best honeymoon destinations in Canada. If you have never seen Niagara Falls, you will be in awe of its size. It may be surrounded by a city, but the falls are wild and untamed. Get a jacuzzi suite overlooking the falls and enjoy champagne and strawberries by the fireplace. There are as many adventures as there are romantic excursions in Niagara Falls.
- Read More Where to Stay in Niagara Falls – Best Areas
- Things to do in Niagara Falls – What to do in 2021
- Nearby Niagara on the Lake is another great honeymoon destination. 15 Amazing Things to do in Niagara on the Lake – Canada
- The Radisson Fallsview has one of the best room views in Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls is the numero uno honeymoon destination in Canada.
California has had a rough time with fires and erosion, but it is still a beautiful stretch of highway along the Pacific Ocean with gorgeous scenery, secluded beaches and rocky sea cliffs. The Ventana Big Sur makes for the perfect base to bask in luxury with your new spouse on your honeymoon. If it is good enough for Taylor Swift and Mark Zuckerberg, it is good enough for honeymooners seeking five-star luxury.
- Read more to help plan your honeymoon at Big Sur Road Trip – The Best Viewpoints
- Glamping in Big Sur – Luxury in the Redwood Forest
- Photography Guide to Big Sur Coastal Drive, California
- Things to do in Carmel by the Sea, California
- 20 Great Things to do in Monterey, California
- The Ventana Resort is an excellent honeymoon destination on the Pacific Coast Highway.
- Where to camp in Big Sur
Costa Rica is a honeymoon getaway for the adventure lover. With volcanoes and jungle, wildlife, and endless beaches, it is one of the best honeymoon destinations for adventure lovers. We were actually on a cruise with people celebrating their honeymoon in Costa Rica. Read more at Things do to in San Jose, Costa Rica
Cape Town, South Africa
Bora Bora, Tahiti
And these are our choices for the best honeymoon destinations on earth. Where did you go for your honeymoon? Or, where are you planning to go when you get married? Let us know in the comments below, we’re always looking for romance.