Best Travel Quotes in the World
Dave and I have been gathering quotes about travel for years. From inspirational quotes to motivational quotes, we find that other people often say the words better than we can.
We thought it was time to round up all the traveling quotes we've posted on our travel blog, pinned to Pinterest, and shared on social media together in one place.
Whether you enjoy short travel quotes or the longer ones we guarantee one of these will speak to your love for travel and life.
Feel free to pin, save, tweet, and post on your own social media. Let's spread the word of love, travel, and adventure. We need it now more than ever!
1. “Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.”
Okay so maybe it isn't exactly true because if you buy a house, it may grow in value and if you buy stocks, you may get lucky and hit the jackpot, but you can never go wrong with travel.
But travel brings riches in life with experiences, learning and making new friends.
Famous Travel Quotes
2. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness., and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.” ~ Mark Twain
This is my favorite quote about travel because travel is truly an education. When you travel you learn so much, opening your mind and heart and becoming a better person.
I remember clipping out cards from Oprah Winfrey's “O Magazine” when looking for inspiration in my life more than a decade ago.
We would put her cards up all over our house. On the refrigerator, in the bathroom on our mirrors…everywhere. They were used to motivate us to find our purpose in life.
3. ” The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” ~ Marcel Proust
Eventually, we found our purpose, and quotes played a large part in that. Since then, we've always looked to travel quotes for inspiration.
Adventure Travel Quotes
Since we love a great adventure, we thought we'd start by sharing our favorite quotes about travel that inspired us to push through, keep going, and have the freedom to travel the world. Even when the going got tough. Enjoy!
4. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine, it's lethal”
I love traveling quotes. Whenever I take on a new adventure, I think about a quote to go with it. When ice climbing in Alberta, I definitely thought of this travel quote.
5. “Great things never came from comfort zones.”
Do you love travel quotes? Got a favorite you want to add? We truly believe great things never came from comfort zones. What do you think?
6. “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.”
When looking for quotes on adventure travel, this one really stuck out by Maya Angelou.
It wasn't until we started to live a life less ordinary that we understood how much control we had on our lives and just how amazing we could make it.
Read more inspiration: Yes your can achieve your life's goals
7. “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey”
This doesn't only have to be designated as a quotation on travel alone.
Life itself has a lot of potholes. So whether you are traveling or at home working at your job, you should definitely enjoy the journey.
8. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever.”
Are you wanting to travel the world but afraid to take the next step? The quote above says it all. Fear is only temporary, but if you don't follow your dream, you may regret it forever.
Read More: 6 tips to help you face your fears
9. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”
This is one of my favourite quotes on adventure travel.
It's scary to step out of your comfort zone, but if you do so with proper training and guidance, a whole new life will begin!
10. “Travel doesn't become adventure until you leave yourself behind”
Wondering what this trip quote means?
Well to me I think that you have to leave your burdens, your stress, and your preconceived notions behind. To understand travel, you must be open to new possibilities and it will change your life.
11. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
This is one of those quotes about travel that has never rung truer than in today's society. Everyone is traveling to show off and brag or catch a selfie rather than to have an experience.
When we climbed the mountain above (Mount Kinabalu in Borneo) we didn't share one social media post about it and today it still remains one of our greatest personal achievements.
Best Traveling Quotes
12. “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~Andre Gide
When in search of travelling quotes, I always look for something that has a deeper meaning.
When Dave and I first started our careers in travel, we kept one toe in our careers and one toe in travel. It wasn't until we finally let go of our safe life in the film industry and took a chance to go all into our new adventure travel careers that everything changed.
13. “It is not the destination where you end up but the mishaps and memories you create along the way.”
We all make mistakes in life and travel. And it really is the mishaps and adventures you have along the road of life and travel that make for everlasting memories.
Inspirational Travel Quotes
People often wonder what the purpose of travel is.
How does travel make life richer and why does it resonate so much with so many people?
These quotes about traveling inspire us to make more out of our travels than just a vacation. They ignite a spark that makes us want to understand the world and ourselves.
14. “I would rather own a little and see the world than own the world and see a little of it.”
Quotes about traveling often have a message of being free from possessions and things, and instead of having life experiences instead.
I don't think there is another travel quote that says it better than this one.
15. “It is better to see something once than to hear about it a thousand times.”
When travelling, quotes often spring to mind.
When we saw the Taj Mahal for the first time, we had heard about it many times. We had read about it and people had told us all about it.
But it wasn't until we saw it that we really understand its beauty and meaning.
16. “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but having new eyes.”
There you go. Just because a person is well travelled, doesn't mean they are open and wise.
You can travel to a hundred places checking off the bucket list. But to see with new eyes and to be open to new possibilities…well that is the true meaning of travel.
17. “I travel not to go anywhere but to go. I travel for travel's sake.”
I have to admit, Dave and I are like this. We just love to travel. It doesn't matter where.
People snickered at us for traveling to Ottawa last week because it was so close to home. But we had the most amazing time in our own back yard.
No matter where we go, we always learn something new.
18. “Live with no excuses and travel with no regrets”
If there is one of the quotes about travel that stands out, this is it.
For life and travel, we all must follow our path without making excuses and we should never live with regrets.
19. “We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.”
Many people think traveling quotes are all about people escaping and dreaming.
But to us, this quote captures exactly what travel is all about.
We never traveled to escape life, we always traveled to find ourselves.
20. “People don't take trips, trips take people.”
Truth! We all take trips, but most of the time the trip ends up taking a life of its own.
This doesn't have a deeper meaning it's just a cute little travel quote we want to share.
21. “Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”
I think I said it above, but traveling quotes often mention the fact of how travel makes you humble and how life experiences are more important than accumulating things.
It is easy to say in a quote, but when you do go someplace magnificent, you really do understand how insignificant you are and just how awesome this world it.
22. “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.”
Benjamin Disraeli put this in his famous quotes about traveling arsenal and it really makes me think.
It is true that I have seen more than I remember.
And then again, I tend to remember much of our travels differently. Perhaps I embellish a memory or create a more positive narrative than what the experience really was.
As another famous quote about traveling says “Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.”
23. “Don't listen to what they say, go see” ~ Chinese Proverb
Ain't that the truth. This can go either way.
Perhaps people tell you not to go to a place because it is awful when indeed it is beautiful.
Or perhaps someone constantly tells you how wonderful a destination is. Well, go and see for yourself and make up your own mind. That's what this says to me.
Through the years we've gathered a lot of quotes on adventure travel, quotes on travel and love and famous quotes about travel.
As we hit the halfway mark on the post, we hope you have found some inspiration to take action on your dreams and maybe think about life and travel a bit differently.
24. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”
Mark Twain is one of the Greats when it comes to creating famous quotes about travel.
We have always tried to live a life less ordinary and think outside the box.
I do believe this has helped us have success in our business and our relationship. I keep this travel quote pinned to my wall.
25. “Those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it.”
And this inspirational quote is very similar in sentiment.
Don't get lost in the crowd. Be an individual. Think big and be brave.
Stand out and live life to the fullest.
26. “The world is changed by your example, not your opinion.”
I think in today's society this couldn't be truer.
Lately, we all have opinions, but it is time for us all to start being the example of who we want and to live our lives.
27. “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.”
This is one of the great quotes about travel to other places.
We often have preconceived notions of what other countries are like.
Travel helps us to understand and learn about different cultures and ways of life. This travel quote couldn't ring truer.
28. “You must be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Travel often opens our eyes to different ways of thinking and understanding the world.
We as travel bloggers love to preach what we have learned to the world, but we also need to live by example.
That is something we strive to work on every day.
29. “Don't quit your day dream.”
One of my favourite quotes about wanderlust.
One of the things Dave and I are most thankful for is the fact that we never stopped dreaming.
We didn't become professional travel bloggers until our mid-30s.
If we settled (like we were supposed to in life) we'd still be working at our jobs thinking we weren't allowed to have dreams once we reached a certain age.
Never stop dreaming.
30. “There's a sunrise and sunset every single day, and they're absolutely free. Don't miss so many of them.”
This is one of my favourite travel quotes because you don't have to travel to enjoy a sunset.
Too many of us wait until we are abroad to appreciate life and nature. Get out there now and start living today. From home!
31. “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
We like to travel with purpose. When we first started traveling, we had no direction and just went around the world backpacking.
I'll never forget saying to Dave “I need meaning to my travels.” It was by creating this blog, creating our videos and creating our purpose to share our experience that I finally created myself.
32. “If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it.”
This is certainly one of the best motivational quotes that have to do with travel.
I often hear of people complaining that they never got their break. But you know what?
You can't wait for things to happen, you have to make them happen.
33. “Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing.”
Do you ever just stop and take a breath and look around. I am amazed at the little things.
When you stop and think about it for a moment, life really is amazing.
34. “Without new experiences, something inside us sleeps. The sleeper must awaken.”
Don't let your life pass you by.
Travel can awaken the giant within. It did for us!
35. “Doing what you like is freedom, liking what you do is happiness.”
It took us nearly 40 years to understand this motivational quote.
All my life I worked hard and dreamed of what I might do one day when I retire.
Once I learned that doing what you love is happiness and you won't have to dream about what might be one day.
36. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” ~Mae West
Ah, Mae West. I can just hear her saying this quote in that fabulous accent.
The Joy of Travel: Travel Quotes
Sometimes travel quotes can simply be about pure joy.
I don't think we have ever felt more joy in life than when we were travelling and truly connected to this world.
When we travel, we feel alive and these inspiring quotes capture that feeling.
37. “This heart of mine was made to travel this world”
Dave and I feel that our hearts were truly made to travel the world. Even when we worked in the film industry, we were always planning our next trip.
When it comes to travel the world quotes, this one describes us.
38. “I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way”
Isn't this just the dream?
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way. I love it when I take a trip and clearly do not have a plan.
That is when the real adventures have happened in our travels.
39. “The Impulse to Travel is one of the hopeful symptoms of life”
It's true. Whenever we have an upcoming trip, we always feel hopeful.
In life, one of my favourite feelings is hope.
40. “Let's find some beautiful place to get lost”
Do you get lost when you travel? Or are you a planner.
Here the traveler quotes an idea to go with the flow, just the way we like it.
41. “I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met.”
How can we love someplace we've never been?
And yet, when it comes to travel, we all already know we will love a destination before we step foot on the soil.
42. “It's a big world out there, it would be a shame not to experience it.”
We got this travelling quote from our friend JD of EarthXplorer.
Well said JD, Well said.
43. “You can shake the sand from your shoes, but not from your soul.”
Whenever I read this quotation on travel, I always think of Dido.
Do you know that song? “I've still got sand in my shoes and I can't shake the thought of you.”
Quotes About Traveling – Inspirational
Not all those who wander are lost. In fact, wandering can help you find yourself, or find that person you lost many years ago.
Travel ignites a wanderlust in us all. I think humans were born to travel. We are explorers at our core.
We're always dreaming, searching, and looking to discover new worlds and new possibilities.
Take a wander with us through these travel quotes to inspire wanderlust.
44. “I want to make memories all over the world”
45. “Someday I'm going to be free and I'm going to travel the world”
46. “We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.”
47. “It doesn't matter where you're going, it's who you have beside you.”
48. “Traveling is not something you're good at. It's something you do, like breathing.” ~ Gayle Foreman
Get some music: It inspires travel too!
49. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
50. “Let your memory be your travel bag.”
51. “It feels good to be lost in the right direction.”
52. “Traveling allows you to become so many different versions of yourself.”
53. “Travel…the best way to be lost and found at the same time.” ~Brenna Smith
54. “Travel has a way of stretching the mind.”
55. “Oh, the places you'll go.”
56. “Wandering re-establishes the original harmony which once existed between man and the universe.”
57. “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”
58. “A journey is best measured in friends rather than miles.”
59. “The journey is my home.”
60. “Just Go. Go See all the Beauty in the World”
61. “Where to next?”
And as the quote above says, “Where will you travel next? How will travel change you and how will you change the world?”
All images belong to ThePlanetD and are from our travels around the world to seven continents and 105 countries.
You can download our ebook of favorite travel quotes, coming soon!
What are your favorite travel quotes? Share it in the comments below.
People are often moved by words, and we hope these wise words from others help you find a clear vision for your future.