Free Things to do in Paris
Paris is an expensive city. That is all I ever hear when talking about traveling there. “You don’t want to spend too many days in Paris, it is too much money.”
But did you know that there are many free things to do in Paris?
Not only are there many things to do in Paris that are free, they are actually some of the most famous sites in the entire city. What we love about Paris is that the architecture and history is so rich and interesting, that you don’t have to spend a penny to have a great time there.
Here is a list of free things that we found to do in Paris. Our friend Marie Louise that lives in Paris contributed some great ideas on free things that we didn’t get a chance to do, but they are excellent recommendations.
Free Things to do in Paris
- Visit Notre Dame – Entering Notre Dame is free. You can walk around and enjoy its enormous Gothic Splendor.
- See Basilique du Sacre Coeur – You get two activities in one for free here. You can enjoy the beauty of Sacre Coeur Basilica both inside and out for free and you can enjoy an amazing view of Paris from the highest point in the city for free.
- Take a free walking tour – Every day at St. Michel in the Latin Quarter and in Montmartre you can join a free walking tour of Paris.
- Go on a pub crawl – In Montmartre you can join a free pub crawl of the bars in the area. A great way to go where the locals go.
- Walk along the Champes Elysees – This is one amazing street filled with fine dining, cafés, shopping and people. It is easy to spend some time window shopping and people watching.
- Explore the famous cemeteries – The Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise is the famous resting place of Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde. The Cimetiere de Montmartre is the famous resting place of Alexandre Dumas and Edgar Degas. These cemeteries are both free and very interesting.
- Jardin du Luxombourg – This amazing garden in the Mont Parnasse area is a beautiful place for a picnic. It is filled with sculptures, gardens and greenery. It is a work of art and a wonderful place to spend the afternoon.
- Free Art - Along the fence of the Jardin du Luxombourg near the Senat there are free exhibits that in another city would not be free. But this is Paris and they have world class photography right on the sidewalk!
- Go to every major site and enjoy it from the outside. The city of Paris is a work of art. Every building is breathtaking and walking around the city and enjoying the sites like The Eiffel Tower, Arc De Triomphe and the outside of the Louvre is a very fulfilling experience.
- Go Dancing – On Sundays on the Left Bank there is free Dancing to old French music. Watch and learn from the older couples that are dancing their hearts out.
There are many free museums and art galleries in Paris and we have heard that there is free rollerblading and skateboarding that has become very popular in Paris. They close several km of City Blocks for people to merrily roll through the city.
There you have it, 10 Free things to do in Paris brought to you by Dave and Deb.
Do you have any suggestions of more free things to do in Paris? Leave a comment below with some advice. Everyone in the world can use more free things in their life.
For other tips and advice on saving money in Paris, check out our other posts below.