Dave and I love going on adventures and we’ve always looked to quotes to motivate us to try something new. We’ve always collected quotes, but when going through our past tweets and pins on Pinterest, I noticed that most of our favorite motivational quotes have often been quotes about adventure. So let’s take a look at the best adventure quotes to get you out of your rut.
When we first started traveling, we looked to travel quotes for inspiration, and now that we are in need of motivation after a year of sitting around, we have turned to inspiring quotes to give us that nudge to get us out of our comfort zone.
Amazing Adventure Quotes
Table of Contents
Best Quotes about Adventure
This past year has definitely been a wild ride. With ups and downs and highs and lows, I think we can all agree that it has reminded us to cherish every moment and embrace life. So our first adventure quote certainly rings true to me. Let’s go! All photos by The Planet D – feel free to save them for your own travel and adventure inspiration.
1. “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” ~ Hunter S. Thompson
2. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It’s lethal!” ~ Paulo Coelho
I think “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It’s lethal” is the best adventure quote ever because it sums up life perfectly. It is always our go to quote when we have doubts or second guess what we are doing. Everyone talks about the dangers and risks that people take, but sitting at home is not the answer. If you don’t take a risk, you’ll never find out just how spectacular life can be.
3. “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.The fearful are caught as often as the bold. Faith alone defends Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” ~ Helen Keller
4. “You know you are truly alive when you’re living among lions” ~ Karen Blixen, from Out of Africa.
This is a beautiful book that you can order on Amazon. Plus, it’s an academy award winning movie with Meryl Streep and Robert Redford. Rent Out of Africa now and read our guide to the best travel movies.
Best Inspiring Quotes
5. “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” ~ Robert Frost
The road less traveled by Robert Frost is probably one of the most famous adventure quotes. Everyone always reflects on taking the road less travelled and adventure lovers certainly do follow a different path.
6. “Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.” ~ Jack Kerouac
7. “It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” ~ Bilbo Baggins
We can’t create an adventure quotes list without including something from Lord of the Rings. It truly is one of the great adventure books. If you want to escape read The Hobbit and the Trilogy.
8. In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. ~ John Muir
9. “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
10. “All Good Things are wild and free” ~ Henry David Thoreau
11. “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.” ~ Ernest Hemingway quote.
I love this one. It reminds me of Braveheart where Mel Gibson’s William Wallace quoted, Every man dies, not every man truly lives. Who knew that words from a movie could turn into one of my favorite quotes. Adventure really does help us feel like we are truly living.
12. “And into the forest I go to lose my mind and find my soul” – John Muir
13. The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
14. A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” ~ John A. Shedd
Short Adventure Quotes
Sometimes a few sentences is all you need to get motivated so let’s check out some of our favorite short adventure quotes to help you step out of your comfort zone.
15. If not Now When? (definitely a short adventure quote)
This was one of the first quotes that inspired my to change my life. This short but effect quote has always stuck with me. While it may not exactly fit into the of quotes about adventure, it does inspire adventure. I used to always say “maybe later” or “maybe when I have more money” or “maybe when I’m older” but then I saw this quote and decided to not wait anymore.
16. Just do it ~ Nike
17. “Life Begins at the end of your comfort zone.” ~ Neale Donald Walsch
18. “Jobs Fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.” ~ Jaime Lyn Beatty
19. “Great things never came from comfort zones.” ~ Anonymous
20. “The Best View Comes After the Hardest Climb.”
21. “Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” – Emilia Earhart
22. Somewhere between the bottom of the climb and the summit is the answer to the mystery why we climb.~ Greg Child
Adventure Quotes for Motivation
23. “One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure” ~ William Feather
24. “Adventure isn’t hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life.” ~ John Amatt
25. “Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure.”
26. “I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
Adventure Travel Quotes
27. “Life is an adventure, it’s not a package tour.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
28. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. ~ Mark Twain
29. “I travel because I become uncomfortable being too comfortable.” ~ Carew Papritz
30. “I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” ~ Robert Louis Stevenson
31. “The world is not in your books and maps; it’s out there.” ~ Gandalf (Gandalf was a very wise wizard when it comes to sharing inspiring adventure quotes with his band of Hobbits)
32. “To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted. ~ Bill Bryson
- We love reading Bill Bryson – read some of his travel books to go around the world
33. “I want to see the world through my own eyes.”
I think it is important to see the world with your own eyes. We can tell people what it is like in another place, and we can describe what food tastes like or what a location feels like but until you see it for yourself, you truly will never know.
34. “It feels good to get lost in the right direction” ~ Anonymous
35. “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” ~ John Muir
36. “People don’t take trips, trips take people” ~ John Steinbeck
37. Oh the places you’ll go ~ Dr. Seuss
38. So shut up, live, travel, adventure, bless, and don’t be sorry.” ~ Jack Kerouac
Adventure Quotes by Famous People
Some of the most unique adventure quotes have come from people you least expect. Like these famous celebrities who have inspired us!
39. “The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
You can never go wrong with Oprah. I used to collect here little cards of inspiring quotes and stick them on my fridge. And who knew that she’d keep inspiring me to travel 20 years later.
40. “Life Happens while you are busy making other plans.” ~ John Lennon
41. “Then one day, when you least expect it, the great adventure finds you.” ~ Ewan McGregor
41. “If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” ~ Angelina Jolie
Best Adventure Quotes
42. “Every mountain top is within reach if you just keep climbing.” ~ Barry Finlay
43. “Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.” ~ Irving Wallace
44. “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~ Sir Edmund Hillary
45. “If we were meant to stay in one place, we would have roots instead of feet.” ~ Rachel Wolchin
46. “Climb the mountain so you can see the world not so the world can see you.” ~ David McCullough
It’s not my favorite of all the adventure quotes, but I love any excuse to put a photo of a mountain up. So I’ll take it!
47. “There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.”~ Every adventure traveler under the sun. Read our best Adventure Travel Destinations around the world.
48. “You Never Know Until you Go” ~ Our guide in Thailand in 2003
I’ll never forget the time we went on a kayaking adventure through the mangroves and another couple was with us. The man never stopped complaining, but our guide had a serene look on his face and talked about.
49. “As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen” ~ Winnie the Pooh
50. “Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress adventure.” ~ J.K Rowling
Comfort Zone Adventure Quotes
51. “Fear is only temporary. Regrets last forever.”
This adventure quote sums up stepping out of your comfort zone perfectly. If you think about it, doing something new can be scary, but if you don’t try it you may regret it for the rest of your life. I know that Dave and I are so happy to took chances early in our lives. We never look back on regret.
52. “Man Cannot Discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.” ~ Andre Gide
53. “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” ~ T.S. Eliot
54. “As you move outside of your comfort zone, what was once the unknown and frightening becomes your new normal.” ~ Robin S. Sharma
55. “Do one thing every day that scares you.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt
56. “We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” ~ Jawaharlal Nehru
Adventure Quotes About Life
57. An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered. ~ GK Chesterton.
58. “20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted.” ~Mark Twain
59. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Funny Adventure Quotes
60. “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an adventure is going to happen” ~ A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
61. “Adventure is My Middle Name”
62. “If you were waiting for a sign to go out there and live, here it is – SIGN!”
63. Good things come to those, who book flights.
64. “Adventure may hurt you, but monotony will kill you.” ~ Marcus Purvis
Ain’t that the truth. 2020 was a year filled with monotony and I don’t think I’ve ever been so restless. I cannot wait to get out and have a grand adventure.
And we leave you with….
65. “What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? – it’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.” ~ Jack Kerouac
Jack Keroruac is so right, life keeps going as we move on to the next new adventure. It may be scary going into the unknown, but wouldn’t you want to keep moving forward and discovering all the new and exciting things about life? Travel helps us explore and escape. And now that we can see a way to travel the world again, we are never going to stop.
What is your next adventure?
66. Adventure is for Everyone ~ The Planet D
And these are some of our favorite adventure quotes. We’ll be adding to this list as we find more and create more photographs. If you have a favorite you’d like us to add, leave it in the comments below.