Have you dreamed of going to New Zealand? When you do go to the island nation, chances are you will go on a Milford Sound cruise. Rudyard Kipling called Milford Sound the 8th Wonder of the World. A cruise around the fjord is something you won't soon forget. More than a century after Kipling's esteemed claim, it was named one of the world's top travel destinations in 2008. It was that mention in the Traveller's Choice awards by Trip Advisor sparked our interest. Even though there are many amazing things to do in New Zealand, Milford Sound was at the top of our list. That's because it is the country’s most famous tourist destination. why?
We'll let our video of our own Milford Sound cruise will speak for itself.
Your Sunday Travel Coffee Break – Milford Sound Cruise
Be sure to subscribe to our youtube channel for travel videos every Thursday!
Check out our New Zealand Travel Guide for more travel ideas to New Zealand
A bit about Milford Sound, New Zealand.
- Milford Sound is actually a fjord. A fjord is defined as a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs. Milford Sound definitely fits the bill.
- Milford Sound is located on the West Side of the South Island.
- See our New Zealand Travel Guide for all
- There are daily Milford Sound cruises as well as overnight cruises. Plus there are kayaking tours.
- Milford Sound boasts some of the highest sea cliffs in the world rising 1,200 metres above the water.
- Milford Sound is a 4-hour drive from Queenstown. You better have a campervan or car rental to get there. Or, you can do what we did! We took our Milford Sound Trip as a part of the hop on hop off, Flying Kiwi tour that we took for 6 weeks through the amazing country. You can book day tours from Queenstown, but man, that would be a long day. However, I know that if you book a Milford Sound cruise with Mitre Cruises, does offer flights back to Queenstown if you are up for a splurge.
- When touring Milford Sound you will see waterfalls, fur seals, you may spot whales and you will go out to the mouth of the Tasman Sea.
- For more information on cruising Milford sound visit Mitre Cruises and for affordable tours around New Zealand's North and South Island check out the Flying Kiwi. We enjoyed it as it was great for all ages, not just the party buses of other tour companies.
Big thanks to Wandertooth for editing our video for us. We'll be putting out travel videos from our trips around the world that we never had the chance to edit due to our hectic schedule. Thanks to his talent and eye for detail, we're finally get our favourite travel moments out online