Mobile Phone Activation in Bangkok
One of the first things we do when entering a new country is buy a SIM card and set up our cell phone.
We don’t have a home plan from Canada and we would never use it over seas anyway, even if we did. With roaming fees and outrageous prices, we would never be able to afford making even one phone call home.
We have found that an unlocked iPhone and a newly purchased SIM card from our destination of choice have worked beautifully during our travels this past year.
Our latest country is Thailand and we are going to give you a step by step guide to how we hooked up our phone the day after we arrived in Bangkok.
- Sign up with the True Move Network. It is the best network in Thailand because it is the only network that has 3G and you can use the True Move wifi at coffee shops and shopping centres all over Thailand.
- Buy your plan by the megabite not time. You will use up your hours quickly but you have to do a lot of downloading and browsing to use up 250 megabytes.
- Buy the High Speed Net SIM card. This is the SIM card for smart phones that need data. It costs 99 Baht.
- When you activate you will automatically receive call time and data time.
- You will want to top up your time though. Go to a 7/11 and buy a top up airtime card. They are sold in 150, 300 or 600 Baht each.
- After you buy your time call *123 * Put in your pin number and hit # and then hit send.
- Your account is now topped up and now you must activate the package that you want.
There are three options for a package:
- 129 Baht 100 MB EDGE and 100 MB 3G
- 399 Baht 500 MB EDGE and 500 MB 3G
- 699 Baht 1 GB EDGE and 1 GB 3G
We bought a 150 Baht card and a 300 Baht card and it lasted us the month
You can activate them two ways.
- Call *9000 and follow the prompts – The will be in English
- Send an SMS to 9789 with your package code.
- You will then receive an SMS confirmation and you are good to go.
Your Air Time is Good for 30 days
If this seems like too much for you, go to the MBK Centre in Bangkok and have them do everything for you. Just walk up to the fourth floor where all the cell phone booths are, find a person that speaks excellent English and ask them to do it all for you. It’s that easy.
Sure you could go to the 7/11 and buy a SIM card on your own and fumble through it, but why not have someone do everything for you. And once your done, hop on the elevator, go to the 7th floor and see a movie. It’ll be a great day.